Craven Craft Lager Prawns09 November 2016
Prawn, Red Pepper and Butternut Skewer with a Sweet Chili Sauce
Ingredients per skewer:
1 prawn, deveined and shelled
1 cube red pepper
1 cube butternut
Preheat oven to 180⁰C
- Peel the butternut and cut into cubes, about 1,5cm x 1,5cm.
- Place the butternut cubes in an oven dish, sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper, and mix through. Roast in the oven until cooked.
- De-seed the red pepper and cut into cubes. Fry off in a hot pan with salt and pepper until just soft to the touch and the skin slightly blackened.
- Dry and season the prawns with salt and pepper.
- Heat some oil in a pan until almost smoking. Add the prawn meat. Cook on both sides until the meat has a good golden, brown colour and firm to the touch.
- Arrange the ingredients on a skewer after cooling.
Sweet Chili Sauce:
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 hot red peppers (jalapeno, serrano, thai, cayenne, etc.)
½ cup sugar
¾ cup water
¼ cup vinegar
½ tbsp salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
- Using a food processor, blend the garlic, chilies, sugar, water, vinegar and salt.
- Place the mixture into a saucepan and bring to boil until the peppers and garlic begins to soften.
- Mix the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water into a slurry and whisk into the chili and garlic mixture. Bring to boil and cook for one minute.
- Let the mixture cool completely.